SK Square attracted to Korbit's simple shareholding structure Crypto exchange believed to be undervalued
이 기사는 2021년 12월 02일 08:05 더벨 유료페이지에 표출된 기사입니다.South Korea’s SK Square, the investment firm spun off from SK Telecom, has selected the country’s fourth largest cryptocurrency exchange Korbit as the first investment as it was attracted to the crypto exchange’s simple shareholding structure.
Korbit’s simple shareholding structure, with NXC as its largest shareholder, is considered the most attractive factor. As of the end of last year, Korbit was largely owned by three major shareholders – NXC, Korbit's former CEO and co-founder Tony Lyu, and Simple Capital Futures – with less than 2% owned by others.
This has allowed SK Square to make the investment decision without going through a complicated negotiation process. SK Square chief investment officer Yoon Poong-young and NXC chairman Kim Jung-ju quickly reached an agreement after the talks started. SK Square has decided to purchase shares worth 30 billion won ($25 million) owned by Lyu and inject 60 billion won by acquiring new shares.
This process would not have worked for Bithumb, which has a very complicated shareholding structure. Other crypto exchanges Upbit and CoinOne already have strong ties with existing investors. Dunamu, which operates Upbit, has its long-time investor Kakao Corp, while CoinOne sold a 38% stake to local game developer Gamevil.
Korbit was practically the last one left among the country's four crypto exchanges for SK Square to secure the second-largest shareholder status. Diversifying risks by securing a strategic investor was also an attractive option for NXC, which had to pour a large amount of money into Korbit for over four years. The founder Lyu’s needs to exit was another factor that enabled a speedy deal.
SK Telecom has worked with Nexon Korea, the crown jewel of NXC, since 2019. The country’s largest mobile carrier and the country's leading online game developer signed a partnership last year to cooperate in content and gaming services and collaborate in the e-sports sector.
SK Square has also believed Korbit was undervalued despite its technological capability because its trading volume is the lowest among the four crypto exchanges and it has not been put up for sale lately. (Reporting by Sang-woo Seong)
최신뉴스 in 전체기사
- [삼성 모바일AP 도전기]'소프트웨어 부재' 구조적 한계…'원스톱' 애플 넘을 무기는
- 디어유 PBR로 본 하이브 '위버스', 몸값 5조 넘나
- [ESG 모니터/네이버]최수연·채선주, 'ESG 성과' 따라 연봉이 바뀐다
- 바이브컴퍼니, VR기술 적용한 가상 부동산 구현
- 비하이인베스트, ICT·바이오 회수 모드 전환
- 메디콕스, 라오스 의료용 대마 사업 본격화
- '배럴 인수' 더네이쳐홀딩스, '나홀로 입찰' 메리트 없었다
- [Company Watch]'PBV 시장 개척' 모트렉스, 수익 창출 기대감 '솔솔'
- 텔레칩스 2대주주 오른 LX세미콘, 어떤 그림 그리나
- SK실트론, 웨이퍼 '출하량 증가·가격 상승'에 1분기 날았다
Translated by Kim So-in 의 다른 기사 보기
- Hyundai Department Store bond sale meets strong investor demand
- LX Semicon joins race for Magnachip Semiconductor
- PDC*line Pharma seeks to go public in Korea
- Major law firms working on IFC Seoul acquisition deal
- NPS to award over $2.3 bil private equity mandate this year
- K bank to file for preliminary IPO review next month
- Citibank Korea's corporate banking business posts positive earnings
- Kurly plans to launch Kurly Pay in second half
- Voronoi restarts IPO process with lower valuation target
- SK siltron chasing Japanese rivals in wafer market
더벨 서비스 문의
02-724-4102유료 서비스 안내