Kwangju Bank to exit from China Lender plans to close its representative office in Wuxi
Translated by Kim So-in 공개 2021-06-17 07:54:24
이 기사는 2021년 06월 17일 07:50 더벨 유료페이지에 표출된 기사입니다.South Korea’s Kwangju Bank, a banking affiliate of JB Financial Group, will exit from China less than four years after it opened a representative office in 2017.
Kwangju Bank has decided to close its representative office in Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, industry sources said Tuesday. The bank’s board of directors will approve the plan next month.
The bank is expected to start its exit process soon. “We opened the office to study the Chinese market as it is the second largest market after America,” said an official at Kwangju Bank. “We decided to close the office, but haven’t officially shut it down yet.”
The lender aimed to use its presence there as a springboard for market research and to build ties with Chinese banks.
“Kwangju Bank has been looking for opportunities to enter the Chinese market for years, but couldn’t find enough business opportunities there,” said an industry source. “The bank thought it would be difficult to grow a business to the extent it would generate profits as it can’t generate profits immediately after establishing its branch and investing in it.”
It is a rare case that a financial institution withdraws its operations in the overseas market.
“A representative office is not for direct sales, unlike a branch, but the exit means that the bank has given up on making a foray into the country,” said a banking industry source. “It must have been difficult for the lender to secure a market share as China is the market where many commercial banks and local banks compete with each other.”
Kwangju Bank is expected to focus on other countries such as Vietnam. Last year, JB Financial acquired a 100% stake in Morgan Stanley Gateway Securities - a midsized brokerage headquartered in Hanoi - and renamed it to JB Securities Vietnam. (Reporting by Jang-joon Lee)
< 저작권자 ⓒ 자본시장 미디어 'thebell', 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지 >
최신뉴스 in 전체기사
- 아이오케이-더인츠, 글로벌 ICT 플랫폼 사업 업무협약 체결
- 판타지오, 보이그룹 '아스트로' 미니 8집 글로벌 흥행
- [틈새 노리는 강소 증권사]토스증권, 조직구성도 '차별화'…토스 DNA 수혈
- 현대캐피탈, 딤섬본드 프라이싱 착수
- '자본확충' 에이루트, 바이오·신재생에너지 사업 확대
- ETF 운용에도 '소통'이 필요하다
- [격변의 퇴직연금 시장]중소기업 '기금형 퇴직연금' 전면도입, OCIO 역할 커진다
- 지속가능발전소-KIS채권 '맞손', ESG채권지수 내놨다
- 현금 두둑한 HMM, 영구채 조기상환 '안하나, 못하나'
- 수익·재무 두 마리 토끼 잡는 롯데정밀화학
Translated by Kim So-in 의 다른 기사 보기
- Main Street Investment invests in US startup WatchBox
- LX Hausys may not sell automotive business amid improving performance
- Candidates for SsangYong Motor likely to be narrowed down to three
- SM Group joins race for SsangYong Motor
- Hahn & Co may take legal action as Namyang owner delays sale process
- Lotte Shopping under audit by its holding company
- Lotte Confectionery improves profitability in 1H
- Stock overhang to have limited impact on KakaoBank stock price
- Samsung Elec's IM division continues stable performance in 2Q
- Krafton IPO draws tepid response from institutions
더벨 서비스 문의
02-724-4102유료 서비스 안내