Will Lotte and Shinsegae raise bids for eBay Korea? Only two retail giants remain in race to acquire US online retailer’s Korean business
이 기사는 2021년 06월 11일 07:37 더벨 유료페이지에 표출된 기사입니다.The latest round of bidding has turned the race to acquire eBay Korea into a two-way battle between Lotte Group and Shinsegae Group, with close attention paid to whether the two retail giants, which has been ramping up efforts to expand their online presence, will raise their offers.
Lotte and Shinsegae submitted binding offers for eBay Korea in the second round of bidding on Monday, according to sources, while the other two shortlisted bidders, private equity firm MBK Partners and SK Telecom, did not submit bids.
While the exact prices offered by the conglomerates are unknown, most industry insiders think their proposals probably have fallen far short of eBay’s expectations, with a possibility of the seller holding another round of bidding to drive up the sale price.
Ebay Korea, which operates open market platforms Auction and Gmarket, holds the third largest share in the domestic online marketplace market after Naver and Coupang. It is clearly an attractive asset for both retail giants, which are trying to expand their reach into online shoppers.
But some are skeptical about whether competition between the two bidders will heat up, raising doubts over how much synergies Lotte and Shinsegae can get by acquiring open market platforms, which earn most of their revenue by collecting marketplace fees from their merchants.
Lotte and Shinsegae are in rivalry with each other as to catching up online retailers, But both conglomerates, which need to continue to ramp up their investment in ecommerce, are unlikely to offer a price higher than the level they think is reasonable, industry watchers said.
Some speculate a scenario where one of them withdraws from the deal if the seller insists on an excessively high price, which could result in giving an advantage to the remaining bidder in price negotiations with the seller.
“(The seller) is likely to try to reach a price agreement with either bidder, rather than make them compete to push the sale price higher, as that could result in a worst-case outcome of both bidders walking away from the deal,” an industry insider said. (Reporting by Hee-yeon Han)
최신뉴스 in 전체기사
- [변화의 기로 유경PGS운용]숙부에게 밀리는 한동엽 대표 지분, 극복 가능할까
- 신성이엔지, '이동형 음압 병동' 해외 진출 길 열렸다
- 디앤디파마텍, 기술성 평가 통과…IPO 일정 재개
- 새마을금고, ESG경영 강화 '협동조합 본분 지킨다'
- 우리종금, 첫 A+ 진입 눈앞...11년 만에 공모채 복귀
- 우리금융, 올 두번째 영구채...6조 투자 여력 눈길
- 신한캐피탈, 외화채 준비작업 시동…조달 다변화 채비
- 현대일렉트릭 공모채 발행 재개…미달 악몽 극복할까
- 세븐브로이, 만만치 않은 상장 부담
- 제이시스메디칼, 확고했던 지배력 흔든 설립 멤버 이탈
Translated by Ryu Ho-joung 의 다른 기사 보기
- Outback Steakhouse deal is close to being completed
- Kumho Tire drops plans to produce TBR tires at Vietnamese facility
- Korean Air taps bond market for $170 mil to refinance debt
- Amorepacific to acquire significant minority stake in COSRX
- Jcontentree steps up efforts to support Megabox
- Paratus-owned Senic seeks underwriters for IPO
- Stonebridge’s first fund invests more than half of committed capital
- Smart Score consortium to acquire golf brand Majesty Golf
- Affinity Equity not in hurry to exit Hyundai Commercial
- Korea Post to award $100 mil PE co-investment mandates
더벨 서비스 문의
02-724-4102유료 서비스 안내