Lotte Rental eyes $2.3 bln valuation in IPO Lotte’s car rental arm likely to use EV/EBITDA ratio to value itself
이 기사는 2021년 06월 17일 07:50 더벨 유료페이지에 표출된 기사입니다.Lotte Rental is aiming for a valuation of about 2.5 trillion won ($2.3 billion) in its initial public offering on Kospi, with the car rental arm of South Korea’s Lotte Group expected to file its IPO prospectus later this month, according to industry sources.
The car rental company is likely to use the enterprise value to earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EV/EBITDA) ratio to boost its valuation by capitalizing on operating profit growth in the first quarter, sources said.
“Lotte Rental recorded good operating profit growth in the latest quarter, and based on this, it will likely choose the valuation method that is most favorable,” said a market insider. “The company is likely to use the EV/EBTIDA ratio to decide the offer price as the car rental business is capital-intensive in nature.”
The peer group is understood to be composed of domestic and foreign rental car companies. Comparables of Lotte Rental, which owns auto financing unit Lotte Auto Lease and car-sharing unit Greencar, include the likes of SK Rent-a-Car, SK Networks and Hyundai Capital.
SK Rent-a-Car and SK Networks had EV/EBITDA ratios of 4.99 times and 5.6 times, respectively, as of the end of March this year.
Lotte Rental’s 2021 full-year EBITDA is roughly forecast to be 1.16 trillion won based on its first-quarter EBITDA of 290.7 billion won. The company’s enterprise value is estimated to be 5.81 trillion won based on the assumption of an EV/EBITDA multiple of 5 times. Its net debt, which is deducted from the enterprise value to get the equity value, stood at 3.79 trillion won at the end of March.
Burgeoning car-sharing market
The rising valuation of So Car, a major competitor of Lotte Rental’s subsidiary Greencar, is likely to help justify the car rental company’s high valuation. So Car was valued at 1 trillion won in its latest funding round, and is expected to grow to 5 trillion won over the next several years despite its continued operating losses.
US ride-hail services like Uber and Lyft could be considered as comparables, but they are unlikely to be included in the peer group as their EBITDA are negative.
Lotte was recently approached by Seoul-based Elevation Equity Partners about a possible purchase of a 25% stake in Greencar for 150 billion won, but the deal ultimately fell through as the conglomerate sought a 1 trillion won valuation for its car-sharing unit. In December 2018, Greencar raised 35 billion won from energy company GS Caltex at a valuation of 350 billion won.
“How strong demand for Lotte Rental shares in its IPO will be is also likely to indicate public market investors’ view on Greencar’s growth prospects,” another market insider said.
Lotte Rental has recorded steady growth on the back of continued investment in its vehicle fleet. Its consolidated revenue increased 8.9% year-on-year to 594.4 billion won in the first quarter. Operating income jumped 52.7% to 49.4 billion won in the same period.
But at the same time, the company’s leverage ratio and debt ratio rose to 7.21 times and 621%, respectively, as of the end of March on a consolidated basis.
“Our debt is rising faster than equity due to increased investment. Proceeds from the IPO will help improve our financial position,” said Lotte Rental. (Reporting by Chan-mi Oh)
최신뉴스 in 전체기사
- [지배구조 분석/LT그룹]희성전자와 구본식 회장 간 거래는 '윈윈'이었을까
- 대우조선해양건설, 공공부문 신용등급 2단계 상승
- [플랫폼 손잡는 택배사]1년새 21% 커진 시장, 협력은 선택 아닌 '필수'
- [2021 더벨 유통포럼]"온오프라인 유통채널 차별화에 답있다"
- [2021 더벨 유통포럼]"유통기업, CEO 주도 '준법경영 체계' 재정비 시급"
- [2021 더벨 유통포럼]“진정성 빠진 ESG, '역효과' 불러올 가능성 크다"
- [2021 더벨 유통포럼]"'파괴적 커머스' 오프라인 제품판매보다 '고객체험' 우선"
- 대구은행, 올해 세번째 원화 지속가능채권 발행 추진
- JS글로벌, 늦어지는 IPO…연내에는 예심 청구
- 산업은행, 저등급 기업 조달 숨통…SPV 한계 보완
Translated by Ryu Ho-joung 의 다른 기사 보기
- Samsung SDI earns record EBITDA in second quarter
- Shinsegae takes full control of Starbucks Korea, with a string attached
- LGES investment activity boosted by positive cash flow
- IMM Investment to invest $35 mil in outdoor gear maker Helinox
- Samsung Life Insurance to launch online sales in China
- Posco International’s Myanmar gas business sees sharp profit drop
- Kakao Entertainment raises $529 mil in commercial paper issues
- Investment and finance experts join Kurly ahead of planned IPO
- Naver uses $400mil treasury shares for staff compensation and share swaps
- Tmon delays IPO after its chief executive change
더벨 서비스 문의
02-724-4102유료 서비스 안내