SK Telecom to give 60% of its cash equivalents to spinoff company Plans to pursue mergers and acquisitions of semiconductor firms
이 기사는 2021년 06월 14일 07:37 더벨 유료페이지에 표출된 기사입니다.SK Telecom, South Korea's number one wireless carrier, will spin off a new investment company, tentatively named SKT Investment, and hand over more than half of its cash and cash equivalents to the new entity.
SK Telecom’s board of directors approved its spinoff plan on Thursday. The surviving entity will remain as SK Telecom while the formal name for the new entity will be confirmed before an extraordinary shareholders’ meeting.
SKT Investment will serve as the holding company of its new information and communication technologies (ICT) affiliates, including memory chip affiliate SK Hynix, e-commerce subsidiary 11Street, app market unit ONE Store, Wavve, SK Planet, and T Map Mobility. The remaining entity will largely focus on SK Telecom's traditional telecom and pay-TV businesses.
The wireless carrier owned a total of 621.4 billion won ($559 million) as of the first quarter, including 130.6 billion won in cash and cash equivalents, 459 billion won in short-term financial assets, and 31.8 billion won in short-term investment assets. The new entity will inherit 387.8 billion won of the total, or 60% of SK Telecom's most liquid assets.
SK Telecom has decided to inherit its cash and cash equivalents to the new entity as the surviving company’s mobile network operator and pay-TV businesses have strong cash-generating capability. Even after it has handed over a significant amount of its cash equivalents to SKT Investment, it can easily recover in a short period of time. It is also capable of raising funds thanks to its strong credit ratings.
Also, SK Telecom will give its cash and cash equivalents because the new entity will serve as the holding company. SKT Investment won’t operate its own business, and has to secure financial power through dividends paid by subsidiaries. Subsidiaries that will be placed under SKT Investment’s wing are considered companies with high growth potential, but their profit-generating ability is not strong yet, except for SK Hynix.
SK Group plans to actively pursue mergers and acquisitions of semiconductor firms globally and collaborate with SK Hynix in future chip technology through the spinoff company. (Reporting by Choong-hee Won)
최신뉴스 in 전체기사
- 셀트리온 계열 비상장 3사 합병한다
- [코스닥 CB 프리즘]센코, 신사업 확장 키워드 'ESG·수소' 방점
- 세종텔레콤 "자연·인간에 이로운 '디지털 혁신'" 선포
- '천랩' 인수 CJ제일제당, '레드바이오' 항로 잡았다
- EV첨단소재, 대만 배터리 기업 '프롤로지움' 투자
- [건설사 인력배치 트렌드]롯데건설, 가파른 주택 증가세…디벨로퍼 강화 전략
- LG화학 아픈 손가락 '우지막코리아', 기사회생할까
- 명동·제주 호텔, 네곳 매각…코로나19 변수 '촉각'
- 마스턴·KT에스테이트, 임대주택 개발 '맞손' 잡은 까닭
- 마그나인베, 결성 2년만 임팩트펀드 소진 눈앞
Translated by Kim So-in 의 다른 기사 보기
- DoubleU Games gears up for M&As
- CJ CheilJedang acquires ChunLab
- Glenwood PE's first blind-pool fund fully invested
- IMM PE speeds up investment through fourth blind-pool fund
- Krafton IPO receives positive response from investors
- DoubleDown Interactive to list shares on Nasdaq
- Centroid switches partner to F&F for TaylorMade acquisition
- SsangYong Motor's potential buyer HAAH set to file for bankruptcy
- KakaoBank brushes off overvaluation concern
- Prime Living & Health seeks a buyer
더벨 서비스 문의
02-724-4102유료 서비스 안내