EBay Korea delays final bidding round Potential buyers complain of insufficient information about company
이 기사는 2021년 05월 07일 08:03 더벨 유료페이지에 표출된 기사입니다.The final round of bidding for eBay’s Korea business has been delayed by two weeks to the end of this month as potential buyers of the ecommerce platform asked for more time to conduct due diligence, industry sources said.
Lotte, Shinsegae, SK Telecom and MBK Partners, which have been conducting due diligence for the past few weeks, have complained of the US ecommerce company not being cooperative in providing information on its South Korean unit, and that was the reason for the delay, according to sources.
EBay Korea recorded revenue of 1.3 trillion won ($1.15 billion) and operating income of 85 billion won in 2020, both up compared to a year earlier. However, its first-quarter results have not been disclosed to the bidders yet, although they believe that the unit’s performance was lackluster in the three months through March.
With a delay in disclosing financial results, doubts are growing among the bidders about the value of the business, industry watchers said. The U.S. ecommerce giant reportedly expects its South Korean unit to fetch 5 trillion won.
Lotte’s interest in eBay Korea is said to have been sharply reduced as the retail conglomerate shifted its strategy to focus on revamping its ecommerce platform, Lotte On, rather than betting billions of dollars on uncertainty of an acquisition’s effects. Lotte On recently appointed Na Young-ho, former head of strategic business at eBay Korea, as its new chief executive.
Shinsegae has teamed up with internet giant Naver and private equity firm Affinity Equity Partners, which has a minority stake in the conglomerate’s ecommerce unit SSG.com, to prepare a bid for eBay Korea. But industry watchers say its biggest reason for being in the race is likely due to counter Lotte On’s expansion. SSG.com has a mere 2% share in the ecommerce market by gross merchandise value versus Lotte On with a 4% share.
SK Telecom and MBK Partners had been in talks to jointly bid for eBay Korea but they failed to reach an agreement. SK Telecom is looking to grow its ecommerce platform 11st, while MBK Partners is hoping to create synergies between eBay Korea and its portfolio company Homeplus.
The bidders reportedly believe the price tag is too expensive. But eBay Korea’s deep experience in ecommerce and immense database of customer data could attract them, industry watchers said. eBay Korea has also been in the black for 16 straight years unlike its loss-making rivals.
EBay Korea has a solid market position. It is the third largest player in the country’s ecommerce market with a 12.4% share, after Naver with 18.6% and Coupang with 13.7%. The company earned gross merchandise value of 20 trillion won in 2020.
But its growth has been slowing recently, with the business posting a 12% increase in revenue last year. This compared with Coupang, Naver and SSG.com, which saw more than 30% revenue growth in 2020 amid the pandemic-driven online sales boom.
Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs are managing the sale process. (Reporting by Si-eun Park)
최신뉴스 in 전체기사
- 한앤컴퍼니, 남양유업 M&A 분쟁서 '승기'
- 건설을 스마트하게…대우건설, 신기술 개발 가속화
- '권영수 컴백' LG에너지솔루션, '품질·IPO' 직면 과제
- [IR Briefing]현대차 흑자전환 공신은 '판관비'
- [2021 디벨로퍼 포럼]"프리콘, 적용 부담보다 비용절감 효과 더 크다"
- [2021 디벨로퍼 포럼]"시행사·증권사 공동투자로 개발 시너지 키운다"
- [2021 디벨로퍼 포럼]“공간 비즈니스, '콘텐츠를 위한 공간'으로 진화해야”
- [2021 디벨로퍼 포럼]초기 '프리콘' 도입 절실…분리발주 관행 선결 필요
- [2021 디벨로퍼 포럼]"도시공간 패러다임 대변동, '굿 디벨로퍼' 역할 부상"
- 박경일號 SK에코플랜트, 블룸에너지 투자로 '첫행보'
Translated by Ryu Ho-joung 의 다른 기사 보기
- Rule revision to require NPS to hire multiple advisers for proxy voting
- LG Corp avoids regulatory risk with sale of S&I’s businesses
- Asiana’s legal dispute with HDC emerges as contingent risk for Korean Air
- Korean M&A market sees decline in large buyouts
- S&I Corp to sell construction division to GS E&C
- GS E&C expands water treatment footprint into Vietnam
- Mid-sized PE firms eye more capital raising as year-end approaches
- Audio streaming platform Spoon seeks to raise $128 mil in pre-IPO round
- What Hyundai Capital's leadership overhaul means for auto conglomerate
- Doosan E&C returns to debt market as financial position improves
더벨 서비스 문의
02-724-4102유료 서비스 안내